Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 3 - Adjustment Period

When we were in the hospital a nurse came in to talk to us and show us pictures of her 13 year old daughter with down syndrome.  She was so proud of everything her daughter had accomplished and you could just see how much she loved her little girl. I remember trying not to cry, but all I could think was this is the perfect type of mother for a child with down syndrome, not me.  I have no idea what I am doing. Before leaving the hospital we were told that we should connect with our local Early Intervention Agency and have Connor evaluated as soon as possible to start services. At the time, I had no idea what this involved. It was all so new and scary and we were just sent off on our journey with this new diagnosis and several different very scary medical conditions. It was very hard for me at this point to talk to friends and even my family about what we were going through. No one really understood, how could they. People would say "it is going to be ok," but how could they know that. It didn't really affect them. Others would say "you are the perfect parents for Connor." That one took me a very long time to believe. I will always be greatful for my amazing friends and family who helped me through those first few months and helped show me that I really am a great mom for Connor. My husband Jeff was amazing through everything and even though he was stuggling in his own way he was always there to support me. There are so many people who have given nothing but love and support throughout this journey and I cannot thank them enough.



I still get sad at times when I remember those early days, but now I honestly don't know what I was so worried about. Connor is perfect in every way. Of course there are many challenges along the way, but Connor learns something new every single day and I have to say he is absolutely adorable =)

Here are a few more pictures from the beginning.....





           

No comments:

Post a Comment