Saturday, October 13, 2012

31 for 21 - If I knew then...

When Connor was born my first questions were about his heart and medical condition, but once I knew that he was breathing and stable my very next question to Jeff was..."have they said anything, do they think he has Down Syndrome??" As I have talked about in the past, I did not know much about Down Syndrome or what it meant, but my visions were not necessarily positive. I had no idea what to expect for my baby's future or for our future. Would this child be living with us for the rest of his life? Would he ever walk or talk? Would he learn to read and write? Would we ever have time to ourselves again or would we constantly be looking after our child. As I have learned over the past few years, none of those questions matter. Connor is the light of my life. He is absolutely amazing. He has changed my perspective on life and taught me so many lessons on never giving up until you succeed. If I had known when he was born that he was going to be the perfect little guy that he is, I would have never worried about those things. I would have been able to truly celebrate his birth and not worry about the future.

Connor may learn things at a slower pace, but I know that he is going to be able to do all the things that typical people can do. I know that he will walk, talk, write, read, and someday have a job. I know that he is a truly happy kid and every day with him is a blessing. He makes everyone around him smile and laugh with his amazing sense of humor. He is proud of his accomplishments and makes sure that everyone around him knows what he can do. Connor has family and friends that love him unconditionally and the love that he gives to others is such a rare ability that we truly treasure. No matter where he goes or what he does, he is going to be successful.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have spent more time enjoying the miracle that he is instead of worrying what the future will hold.




1 comment: