Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 8 - Down Syndrome Awareness

Today I decided to write a letter to Makayla because she truly is the best big sister to Connor and Nathan and has no idea. I love you so much, Makayla.

Dear Makayla,



You are by far the best big sister Connor could ever have. I can’t even put into words how amazing you are with him and I know you always will be. When we first learned that Connor had Down syndrome, I remember feeling so sad for you, the big sister, because you were not going to experience all the “normal” sibling things we had hoped and dreamed for you. Your life was going to be so different than we imagined and that made me really sad. I could not have been more wrong and you starting showing me that the moment Connor came home from the hospital.  You have loved Connor unconditionally from day 1. You were only 2 years old, but already you were teaching me that everything was going to be ok and that it didn’t matter that it was going to take Connor longer to learn things because you were going to be right there for him cheering him along and being his number one teacher.  I used to feel sad that you had to sit through countless early intervention therapy sessions every week, but you never minded. You loved every minute of it and loved playing and teaching Connor along the way. You have always been and always will be Connor’s best teacher. He listens to everything you say and learns from everything you do. You are his idol and he wants to be just like his big sister, “K”. Connor worked for a very long time learning to walk and you were with him every step of the way encouraging him to stand up and to chase after you. You have learned sign language with him and definitely know way more signs that I do. You have always known what Connor is trying to tell us.  When Connor was potty training, you sat in the bathroom singing him songs over and over again. I don’t know anyone else who has that kind of patience. You come to every one of Connor's soccer games to encourage him, cheer him on and walk him back onto the field when he runs away! You are the most patient, compassionate, and loving 7 year old I have ever met and I am so thankful that you are Connor’s big sister. He is so lucky to have you.  We are all so lucky that you are part of our family.  You are going to do amazing things in this world and I look forward to seeing all that you accomplish. 

Love,
Mom


First picture of Makayla holding Connor

Such Love

Mickey Mouse and  Bumblebee Fairy

Down Syndrome Awareness 3:21

Big smiles

Ready for a rainy day


No comments:

Post a Comment